Do you have an item of furniture in need of some TLC?
Why not bring it along to our classes and we will teach you how to bring it back to life to be enjoyed and loved once again?
The upholstery classes are perfect for both beginners and those with previous experience. If you have an interest in upholstery and want to learn the core upholstery skills required to upstyle your furniture and give it a new lease of life then these classes are for you.
What will I need?
Bring along your chosen upholstery project and your top fabric if you already have it.
We have a selection of fabrics in the workshop for sale and you are welcome to make an appointment before your class commences should you wish to pop in and browse fabrics for your project.
For a beginner we recommend a small project such as a footstool or drop in dinning chair seat to gain your core skills before moving on to a larger project.
A dust mask and eye protection such as safety glasses or a visor are reccomended to protect you from the dust and flailing tacks when ripping and reupholstering.
Your furniture should be in good repair (e.g. the seat of the chair needs reupholstering but no major structural repairs to the frame).
The classes are held in our fully equiped workshop, giving you access to all the upholstery tools and equipment you may need for your project. Adjustable height work benches are available for more awkward projects.
If you already have tools of your own feel free to bring them along such as a tape measure or pair of fabric scissors.
The materials and fabrics needed for your project are not included in the course fee.
This is simply because the materials needed is unique to each student and the quantity and price therefore differs wildly from project to project.
We have most of what you will need available for you to purchase right here in the workshop such as webbing, foam, fire retardent calico liner, coir fiber, hair, top fabric, tacks, and staples etc. If we don’t have what you need we we can point you in the right direction to some of our favourite upholstery suppliers to ensure you achieve the perfect look.
What equipment is provided?
Booking a class – Select your preferred day / time
Examples of projects completed in our classes.
Drop in dining seats.
Project time frame:
1 or 2 seats 12hours.
4 seats 24 hours.
The fillings inside the stools were in great condition and did not need replacing.
Project timeframe: 12hours
The fillings inside were in tip top condition and did not need replacing.
Project timeframe: 24 hours.
What if I don’t have a project to work on?
Why not check out our Bagsy Booth?
The Bagsy Booth holds a wide range of furniture we’ve collected on our travels and all are waiting for that little bit of TLC. It’s a great place to purchase a project to work on during our upholstery classes. An opportunity to personally create a one off piece for your home.
Click to visit the Bagsy Booth and
Before you book
Before you book, we ask that you send us a photo of your proposed upholstery project. This is so that we can check its suitable for the classes. The easiest way is to send Helen a WhatApp photo to 07946 489 611 or message us via Facebook. Alternatively Contact Us via email or make an appointment to visit the workshop for a face to face chat prior to booking.
Upholstery can be complicated and we just want to make sure that you can complete your upholstery project within the timeframe of the class or course. If in doubt, contact us for a chat to discuss your requirements.
Where is it?
The classes are held in the Stevenson & Soames workshop, Unit 21, on the second floor of Hartley House Business Centre (A Block) in Sherwood, Nottingham. NG5 1FD
Access to a lift is available for those who do not wish to carry their furniture up the stairs to the second floor. Free parking. Disabled access.
Meet your tutor Helen
Having found her natural talent early in life, Helen loved designing & making through her school years, she followed her heart and studied Art & Design at college, and went on to achieve a BA(Hons) Crafts degree at Manchester Metropolitan University, specialising in Wood, Metal and Textiles in 1995.
She is passionate about furniture conservation and is keen to share her knowledge with you so that together we can re-use, re-purpose and save furniture from landfill and be proud of the creations we make.
Class bookings and cancelation policy
Class bookings can be made:
- Online via this website. This secures your place immediately.
- In the workshop. Full payment is required to secure a booking.
- Classes are suitable for age 18+
- Payment must be made in full at the time of booking to confirm your place. We cannot reserve places without payment.
- We take payment by cash, card or PayPal.
- We accept no responsibility for bookings that are held back due to incorrect or invalid payment details being submitted.
Cancellation by you:
- Payments for classes are generally non-refundable. You are welcome to send someone else in your place instead. Just let us know their contact details as soon as possible. Refunds may be given if we are able to re-sell your place.
- Refunds will not be issued if you are unable to complete a class.
- Please note that there are no make-ups for missed sessions if the workshop is over more than one session.
- You have the statutory 14 days to cancel or amend your booking. After this time a 50% refund or the option to switch to another class will be offered, if cancelled more than one month before the class.
- No refunds will be offered less then one month before the class commences.
Cancellation by us:
- In the event of us needing to cancel a class we will give as much notice as possible and will offer you a place on an alternative.
- If this is not suitable then we will offer you a full refund
- Please note that we cannot accept responsibility for any other/3rd party costs or expenses you may have incurred in relation to the original booking.
Beautifully restored and unique items that have a real touch of style.Thank you so much for the care and attention you've given my Nana's curiosity cabinet - it's completely revitalised and looks stunning! Fantastic work xxx