Bring along your first upholstery project!
What you will need
Bring along your chosen upholstery project and your top fabric if you already have it, don’t worry if you don’t have fabric, we have a large selection of fabrics in the workshop for sale. For a beginner we recommend a small project such as a footstool or drop in dinning chair seat to gain your core skills before moving on to a larger project.
Please bring face covering (mask) and eye protection such as safety glasses or a visor to protect you from the dust and flailing tacks when ripping and reupholstering.
Your furniture should be in good repair (e.g., the seat of the chair needs reupholstering but no major structural repairs to the frame)
You will be guided on how to sympathetically strip away existing upholstery, clean and carry out basic repairs, revive show wood before building up the upholstery using traditional or modern materials in keeping with your project.
What equipment is provided?
The classes are held in our fully equiped workshop. You will have access to the upholstery tools and equipment needed for your project such as ripping tools, mallets, tack hammers, and webbing stretchers etc. We have electric, pneumatic and manual staple guns. We also have adjustable height work benches available to suit the size of you project.
The materials and fabrics needed for your project are not included in the course fee. This is simply because the materials needed is unique to each student and the quantity and price therefore differs wildly from project to project. However we have most of what you will need available for you to purchase right here in the workshop such as webbing, foam, fire retardent calico liner, coir fiber, hair, top fabric, tacks, and staples etc. If we don’t have what you need we we can point you in the right direction to some of our favourite upholstery suppliers to ensure you achieve the perfect look.
Where is it?
The classes are held in the Stevenson & Soames workshop, Unit 21, on the second floor of Hartley Business Centre in Sherwood, Nottingham.
Access to a lift is available for those who do not wish to carry their furniture up the stairs to the second floor. Free parking. Wheel chair Access on afternoon classes only.
Before you book
Before you book, we ask that you send us a photo of your proposed upholstery project. This is so that we can check its suitable for the classes.
Upholstery can be complicated and we just want to make sure that you can complete your upholstery project within the timeframe of the class or course.
If in doubt, contact us for a chat to discuss your requirements.
What if I don’t have a project?
We have a solution.
Why not check out our bagsy booth. The bagsy booth is an area on our website that has a range of items of furniture waiting to be restored and re loved. Not all items are appropriate for the upholstery classes so look out for the ones marked suitable.
Click here to visit the bagsy booth
At Stevenson & Soames we are highly conscientious about the world we live in, our environment and the role we all play to protect and maintain it.
Recycling is fundamental to our ethos and the message we want to share.
Helen is passionate about furniture conservation and is keen to share her knowledge so that together we can re-use, re-purpose and save furniture from landfill and be proud of the creations we make.
Class bookings and cancelation policy
Class bookings can be made:
- Online via this website coming soon. This secures your place immediately.
- In the workshop. Full payment is required to secure a booking.
- Classes are suitable for age 18+
- Payment must be made in full at the time of booking to confirm your place. We cannot reserve places without payment.
- We take payment by cash, card or PayPal.
- We accept no responsibility for bookings that are held back due to incorrect or invalid payment details being submitted.
Cancellation by you:
- Payments for classes are generally non-refundable. You are welcome to send someone else in your place instead. Just let us know their contact details as soon as possible. Refunds may be given if we are able to re-sell your place.
- Refunds will not be issued if you are unable to complete a class.
- Please note that there are no make-ups for missed sessions if the workshop is over more than one session.
- You have the statutory 14 days to cancel or amend your booking. After this time a 50% refund or the option to switch to another class will be offered, if cancelled more than one month before the class.
- No refunds will be offered less then one month before the class commences.
Cancellation by us:
- In the event of us needing to cancel a class we will give as much notice as possible and will offer you a place on an alternative.
- If this is not suitable then we will offer you a full refund
- Please note that we cannot accept responsibility for any other/3rd party costs or expenses you may have incurred in relation to the original booking.